Friday, June 23, 2006

From Munich to Budapest

We have definitely hit a landmark point in our journey where 4 becomes 2....and 2 that are on their way back to the states. We enjoyed our time together in Copenhagen at the Carlsberg Brewery...despite being fairly unknown in the states (unknown of course...because it is good beer...which we know little of how to make.....) it is one of the main beers in Europe....and we heard the tour offered some cheap drinks at the end, which was in fact true...the tour was about 4 USD with the student discount and ended with two free beers. The beer I had...a traditional Carlsberg Pilsner...and another offshoot of Carlsberg...Jacobsen (Saaz Blonde was the flavor for me) were both excellent....and I bought my first souvenir...a t-shirt with their quaint slogan on the back...."Probably the best beer in the world". You have to give credit to a slogan that is unsure of itself....or just respectful enough to allow for dissension.

We decided a great way to enjoy our last night as a foursome would be to sleep in hot, cramped train cochettes with annoying companions. Well, we might not have came up with the idea ourselves....but fate dealt us the brutal night of non-sleep it ended up being. Kevin and I were in a car with 3 others......one being a grandma whose snore could embarrass.....well....anyone. With her snores and the guy beside Kevin slowly encroaching on his personal space (moving over as he slept to create more room for himself)....we headed out to an open area where the bicycles are transported and slept on the floor in between bikes. Cory and Dave endured some similarly-aged travelers who shared the headphones to jam to some epic fantasy speedmetal as they slept.... But, alas, we arrived in Munich...beermaking capital of the world (so Munich claims). We enjoyed a litre of beer each (a huge mug for only around 7 USD) and various sausages put together on a plate with mashed potatoes at the world-famous Haufbrauhaus.....one of Munich's beer gardens.

From there, we thought it'd be a good time for....well...more beer....and Dave and I's favorite beer is brewed in Munich....Hackor Pschorr. The brewery doesn't offer tours, but we found a restaurant offering 5 different varieties of the brew....you can only get your hands on one in the US that we've found. Of course....good stuff.

Cory and Kevin walked us to our train, and then we said our good-byes. It was tough to say good-bye to such good, fun travelmates. Cory has a job...the slacker....so...he has to get back to that. Kevin is looking forward to seeing his family again and starting the Floridian chapter of his life. They hit an overnight last night to Amsterdam....Cory flies out from there on the 25th. Kevin travels on to Dublin via London and Holyhead the following day.

Dave and I boarded a train to Budapest, Hungary via Vienna, Austria around 3:30 and arrived at about midnight clueless of where we might stay. I will admit being very tired of arriving in odd cities late at night with no clue where I will lay my head for the night....but....so is the way of the budget traveler. However....we were lucky. After about two minutes of walking from the train station...and avoiding our first room hawker (which we were warned of in our guidebooks...folks who offer you rooms to stay in right off the train......some will then transport you to a shady part of the city and overcharge you....you oblige to get in off the street).....we found a nice hostel for about 12 USD per night and decided to stay two nights. After getting settled, we went in search of food (ATM first obviously). The hype about low prices in Eastern Europe has lived up to billing. We found a gyro for about 2.50USD. Today, we enjoyed Ramen noodles (cheap and available apparently all across the world) mixed with fresh vegetables from the store for lunch.

There is definitely a different feel to this city than others. My guess would be the difference will be exacerbated in smaller towns.....of which we are planning to head to tomorrow. For now, I am loving the free interenet, cheap eats....and sleeping arrangements that have been solidified since I awoke this morning....two nights in the same bed....yay.

I am definitely homesick. I haven't heard my mom's voice in....way too long. I will try to call soon...but....that gets increasingly difficult and expensive as we travel further away from home. It is odd....but....I look at the map and see that I am moving further away from home...and not closer....and that weirds me out a bit. Kevin and Dave replied to that that they just see themselves as "in Europe" and the different locations within Europe don't affect them......it does for me. Although I am enjoying the trip....I look forward to moving closer to home....and then actually being home. I am putting aside my homesickness as much as possible. I will not have the opportunity to experience many of the upcoming places again probably...and it would be silly of me to wish away any of the great experiences to come....it's only another month. I guess another aspect of my homesickness is the fact that I will not return to a "life as I know it" but a life altered greatly by some recent moves, changes, and maturations. As Kevin and I parted ways, we both realized we probably won't see each other again until September when he visits....and that is after living together in the same city for the past year...and being close relationally and geographically since about 6th grade. Dave will be in Marion upon our return...again after years together...and what will be two months straight at the end of this journey. My friend Lydia has moved to Missouri (she is currently in Mexico with a summer missions-related internship dealio). And....I will greatly miss some of the youth group kids that will be heading on to college...... So......call me overly pensive....but......I will return to a different life. But, my family will remain, and I look forward to growing closer to each of them.....all included...... And....there are a stack of books on my bed at home that are waiting to be read. Dave and I stumbled upon an English bookstore today, and I picked up Jack Kerouac's "On the Road". I also have Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell in my bag...but I'm saving it for our time in Taize.

Thanks for reading what has turned out to be a long post.

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Kent said...

1 month will be over before you know it and you will be home. Keep enjoying yourself and I look forward to hearing all about the trip when you get back.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

Josh-
I am glad that you are having a great time!!! See you in a month... Enjoy the beauty around you..
love ya

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Trev Diesel said...

"You have to give credit to a slogan that is unsure of itself"

Genius, indeed, my man.

Keep enjoying each day... and enjoy the Kerouac. One of my favs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home